Monday, February 21, 2011

Thirty Minutes a Day / Cotton Seeds

While attending my child's basketball practice this past Monday a parent announced to me that she actually read to her child thirty minutes a day.  She couldn't believe that other parents did not.  Confession, I don't.  My tastes are not identically aligned with my children's and their's are not aligned with each other.  I imagined a parent of four spending two hours a night trying to meet the quota or beating themselves up for not.

Obviously, I'm not a purist when it comes to this nationally mandated read to your child thirty minutes a day.  I think what we as educators are intending to say or ought to be intending to say is expose your child to literature thirty minutes a day.  Create an environment that loves the read.  That's what the 'cotton seeds' section is all about.  


Check out the 'cotton seeds' page!  


No comments:

Post a Comment