Thursday, September 13, 2012

Early College High School




Near the end of his eighth grade year my son expressed his plan to apply to our local Early College High School program.

My feelings were mixed. I wished to support him, but I wasn’t ready. Were all of the homecoming rituals and basketball games over? What about traditional coming of age high school fun? Would he as an adult ultimately feel cheated? At least I have another phenomenal child to play ‘prepare for U.I.L. events’, and relive high school through vicariously.

Bigger thought- county orange is not my color. Not one of those college hussies better try and holla at my beautiful baby boy.

Q: Hotep, why?

A: Mom, I plan to get a Ph.D. and should probably get started now.

He applied. 
ECHS accepted him. 

Today, he is a Junior in high school, and a Freshman in college. I believe it was the best thing for him… and probably for my pocket book. Do they still have pocket books?

For people who have not heard of this initiative, it’s pretty stellar. Students participate in H.S. and college classes (with college students) simultaneously usually at a local junior / community college.  It’s kind of a backward dual credit. Instead of taking some classes in high school for college credit these students take some college classes for high school credit.

Check it out:   http://www.earlycolleges.org/

P.S. Now, my second is considering this route as well. What? Booooooo! No H.S. Homecomings.

#EaglesEagles

No comments:

Post a Comment